********I am back from my 3 weeks in the wilderness and I look forward to sharing with you the treasures that God has shown me while I was away! 🙂 I incorporated my time there into the rest of the 40 day contentment study!
If I am going to be a satisfied wife, I have got to be humble before anything else happens. The opposite of being humble is being prideful. And this is what I want to focus on identifying today. I pray that your eyes be opened to see what I have learned by experience.
When I am living in the flesh, or the “old man”, the “self-life”, I am out of the influence of God’s Spirit, and I am on my own and in the realm of the world, or the earth.
I am living as if:
- I am in control, and as if I don’t “need” God’s grace, or anything else.
- I know best, and that I have all the answers to my life, and everyone else’s life.
- I am living off of my own emotions, feelings, wisdom, desires, and will.
- I am completely independent and living in self-sufficiency—-apart from God and His abundant life and resources.
- When I am living in the flesh, my number one drive will be PRIDE.
- Pride is behind every sin. All arguing comes from PRIDE.
- “I am better than you!”
- “I know better than you!”
- “I know better than God!”
- “I am ALWAYS right, and you are wrong!”
- “I don’t need help!”
- “I don’t need God’s grace!”
- “Life depends on ME doing everything right and making everything work out right!”
- “I don’t have to forgive you because YOU wronged me!”
- “Other people NEED me and MY advice, not Jesus!”
- “Thank God I am not as big a sinner as THAT person!”
- “I SHOULD BE YOUR PRIORITY! I AM MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN YOUR LIFE!”
The poster figure for PRIDE is satan himself. He wanted to be God. He wanted to be worshipped. He wanted to be the greatest. He wanted to be the most glorious. He wanted all the attention.
And so from the fall, satan’s object was to capture the soul of men, and lead them astray from God, to worship him.
Now, every person born in this world has inherited the nature of Adam—the sinful nature–the nature that is rooted in PRIDE. Eve fell for it.
She saw that the fruit was good—good to make her “like God” knowing “good and evil”.
ANGER–THE CLEAREST PROOF THAT YOU ARE NOT GOD BUT WISH YOU COULD BE
I remember reading or hearing something a long time ago that basically said that when we are angry, it is because we can’t control something/someone. We get angry when we can not force our own will onto another person, or circumstances.
It is that burning anger inside that leads to all kinds of sin such as hatred, evil words, physical hurt, etc.
When we can’t have our own way, we get angry.
And it is the clearest proof that we wish we were God. We wish we were sovereign and that we could control the universe. But we are not God, and we can’t control anything. And that leaves us utterly helpless and at the mercy of God—-the One True God.
Or, it leads people down the wide path where they live totally in the world, blinded by satan, living out satan’s plans and purposes, and enjoying the passing pleasures of this life. But even then, the most atheist of people will certainly experience times in their life where they are completely helpless to do or have what they desire, and they will get angry, proving that they want to be God and have control, but they don’t, and they can’t.
PRIDE HAS ITS EYES ON SELF
When we are living in the flesh, our eyes are on our self—
- what WE want,
- what WE desire,
- what WE will,
- what WE want to do,
- what WE think is best,
- what WE think is right,
- what WE think is wise,
- what WE want to happen.
It is completely and utterly about US. What we want, feel, think, desire, will. It leaves absolutely no room for God and others. It is all about ME!
As a wife, let us see how disastrous it is to be living pridefully in the flesh, with our eyes fixed upon ourselves.
We will be consumed with the following:
- our husbands giving us their COMPLETE attention
- our husbands doing whatever WE want to do, when we want to do it
- our husbands loving us how WE want to be loved
- our husbands falling all over us with physical affection and intimacy
- our husbands caring more about us than ANYTHING else!
- our husbands doing everything for us to show us they love us
- our husbands having deep conversations with us all day long, every day
- our husbands going out of their way to do things for us like buy us gifts, surprises, etc.
- Basically, we will be consumed with our husbands WORSHIPPING us instead of GOD!
And this is pride.
- PRIDE wants to be number ONE!
- Pride wants to be the MOST important!
- Pride wants to be WORSHIPPED!
- Pride is consumed with the SELF and pleasing the self!
- It cares only about itSELF.
“GOD OPPOSES THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE”
“Humility does not have its eyes on self, but rather on God and others” E.M. Bounds
CONTENTMENT ONLY IN HUMILITY
With all that’s been said, see how it proves that I can NOT be content or satisfied if I am living in my prideful flesh because I will be CONSUMED with having my own desires met. Nothing will be able to satisfy my prideful longings. Nothing and NO ONE will be able to meet my extremely high expectations. No husband will be able to fulfill these desires a wife has because we were not made to live out from our prideful flesh, we are made to walk in “NEWNESS OF LIFE” after the SPIRIT OF GOD, embracing humility, just as our Lord Jesus did!
When I am walking after the Spirit of God,my eyes will be on GOD!
- My heart, soul, body, and mind will be focused on obeying and pleasing GOD!
- My eyes will be fixed on Christ Jesus, as I seek HIM for all of my needs for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, grace, and self-control.
- I will be UTTERLY DEPENDENT ON HIM for ALL things—seen and unseen.
- I will be focused on blessing my husband, not demanding what He can do for me.
- I will be seeking to WORSHIP GOD, not desire and demand that I BE WORSHIPPED by my husband!
- I will give of myself freely to God in Christ to be used for His purposes and His greatest glory!!!
- It will be all about GOD, and all about HIS MERCY, GRACE, POWER, FORGIVENESS.
- It will NOT be about my self-righteousness, self-sufficiency, self-gratification.
- It will be about doing GODS will, not my own!
And when I am set in the Spirit, seeking the things above where Christ is, my heart and soul will be guided by Him, and I will find in the shadow of the Almighty true peace and contentment because I will know that I am right where God wants me—humble before Him in reverence and awe.
Nothing will ever be able to satisfy my prideful self. I must reckon my “Self” to be dead and buried with Christ (Romans 6)—and count my self as alive unto God, in newness of life. The old things have passed away—-and now I am free to seek the will of God, and the power to obey Him and to live according to His word and Spirit, instead of in selfishness and pride.
“I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.”