“What is Heaven, but the rest and quiet of a man’s spirit; that is the special thing that makes the life of Heaven, there is rest and joy, and satisfaction in God. So it is in a contented spirit: there is rest and joy and satisfaction in God. In Heaven there is singing praises to God; a contented heart is always praising and blessing God. You have Heaven while you are on earth when you have a contented spirit;”
Burroughs p. 79-80
“For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength…” Isaiah 30:15
The only way to true contentment is by being filled with the fulness of God in our hearts. I think it is interesting that God allows us to live in this present evil world, yet we are commanded not to worry, and to actually be content.
I fear that there are too many of God’s children out there who are NOT experiencing the abundant life of rest and joy and satisfaction in God through the Holy Spirit.
I know I wasn’t for a long time.
Honestly, I didn’t even know what I was supposed to be doing or thinking for a really long time. All I did know is that I was being drawn in spirit to seek after God, and to understand who He is and I was slowly being weaned from this world as the years went by and are going by. What should have happened years ago has only just begun for me.
The moment we were born again, or from above, born of the Spirit of God:
- the Holy Spirit took up residence in our spirit, and we became sealed unto the day.
- Our sins were forgiven, and our old man was put to death, and we were raised to new life in Christ! Old things have passed away.
- And we are told to put on the new man that is made after the likeness of Christ. That man is the spiritual man.
- The innerman in us that is to gain ascendency over our soul and body, that the Spirit of God would rule in our hearts and lives.
Here is the critical fact that seems to be missing from most of our lives for too long—–WE HAVE TO PUT THE MIND OF THE FLESH TO DEATH IN ORDER TO EXPERIENCE THE MIND OF THE SPIRIT WHICH IS LIFE AND PEACE.
MIND OF THE FLESH
The mind of the flesh is a DECEIVED MIND. It relies on LIES to keep it fueled. It is utterly OPPOSED to God!
The mind of the flesh can easily be recognized by:
- worry– fretting over everything in your life because you are scared and believe you have no help in the world
- doubting God’s wisdom, love, and power
- trusting yourself to handle things- looking upon yourself to “fix” problems in your life and circumstances by reasoning what needs to happen
- seeking ways to “save” your own life- protecting yourself in every way possible
- insecurity– placing all of yourself, who you are, what you are worth, your value, etc. in someone/thing
- believing someone/thing/idea can can solve your problems
- selfishness– thinking of how everything will affect YOU!
- Pride-thinking you know best or better than God and other people
- control– thinking of ways to control your life and other people and their lives
- obsessing about someone/thing/idea/situation
- citical, condemning, judgmental thoughts about self and others
- greed and covetousness
- resentment and bitterness
- comparing self to others
- FEAR– constantly afraid of anything and everything that might happen
- sin – can’t get a certain sin out of your mind
On the other hand, the MIND OF THE SPIRIT is life and peace. It is the Mind of Christ.
The mind of the Spirit can be recognized by:
- continual praise of God
- words of wisdom
- words that minister life
- words of truth
- words of peace
- resting in God’s sovereignty
- praying without ceasing
- believing God is who He says He is
- believing God can do what He says He can do
- intercessory prayer
- believing in God’s unfailing love
- hoping in His mercy
- relying on His strength
In order to live continually in true heart contentment, we must be feeding the Spirit and not the flesh. We feed the Spirit by reading the Bible, singing praise songs to God in our hearts, thinking thoughts that are pure, noble, right, true, and praying in our hearts and minds throughout the day.
If we can continue in this way of the heart and mind, we can be sure that God “will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him because he truts in Him”! When we are focusing on Christ in our minds, and we are truly trusting in God for each moment of life He gives, then He promises to keep our hearts and mind in peace!
Mind on Christ + Trust in God = mind kept in perfect peace by God!
We alone have the switch to our minds. We have to practice controlling our own thoughts and taking them captive to Christ because if we are off guard, our self will have NO problem thinking with the fleshly mind and taking over the heart!
WATCH AND PRAY!