Yesterday, we talked about how satan’s #1 object is to get us to doubt/question our salvation in order to get us to come off the ground of Christ and faith. This happens when we accept accusation and it leads to condemnation. We talked about how there is a positive and negative side of seeing our hearts for what they really are.
Today, I want to talk about how the Book of 1 John is the letter that sets forth the ground of our assurance that we are IN CHRIST and are born from above.
Everything that follows in this list is found in the Book of 1 John:
- We know that we know Him if we keep His commandments
- We know we are in Him if we walk, even as He walked
- We know it is the last time because many anti-christ’s are come
- We know that when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is
- We know we have passed from death unto life because we love the brethren
- We know we are of the truth if we keep His commands and do that which is pleasing in His sight
- We know He abideth in us by the Spirit which He hath given us
- We know the Spirit of truth when those who are of God hear us, and the spirit of error are those who hear not us and they know not God
- We know we dwell in Him and He in us because He has given us of His Spirit and we have seen and testify that God sent His Son to be the Savior of the World
- We know we love the children of God when we love God and keep His commands
- If we know He hears us, we know we have the petitions we ask of Him
- We know whosoever is born of God sinneth not
- We know we are of God and the whole world lieth in the wicked one
- We know the Son of God is come
THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE KEY HERE
“We know He abideth in us by the Spirit which He hath given us”
All of the above can only be true insofar as the Holy Spirit is dwelling in us!
How do we know if we have the Spirit of God dwelling in us?
This is something the Lord showed me recently and “I went away rejoicing!” I pray you might be blessed by what He showed me too and that it will give you that assurance which will squash satan and his lies!!
Proof of Holy Spirit indwelling:
- We have recognized and acknowledged the ABSOLUTE LORDSHIP of Jesus Christ over our lives-This is the first proof that we have the Holy Spirit–that we bow to the Lord Jesus, and He is Lord over all things in and over our lives.
- When Jesus is truly Lord over us, the Holy Spirit always brings into our hearts the glory of the Lord—we are filled with joy when we make Jesus Lord of our lives! This joy is the expression of the glory of Jesus!!AMEN to THIS! I KNOW this is TRUE! HALLELUJAH!
- When we have the Holy Spirit—we become singers. The Holy Spirit in us makes us sing!!! That is proof! A heart that sings unto the Lord whether inwardly, or spontaneously—the joy can not be contained! I have a great time of this at home alone. Sometimes the song in my heart comes out of my mouth randomly when my family is home. Either way, it tells of the Holy Spirit in my heart that makes me sing of Christ Jesus My Lord!!!!
- When we have received the Holy Spirit, the proof is in the complete change that has taken place in our lives— when we have the Holy Spirit, He takes us in the opposite direction of our human nature. We no longer do the things we used to do that dishonor the Lord; we go from sadness to rejoicing; weakness to strength; fear to courage—when we are in the Lord—and the Holy Spirit is indwelling us! He makes us a new and different kind of creature than that of humans who are not children of God.
- When we have the Holy Spirit—–the Word of God is not just a Book—it is an open Heaven where we can see Christ and the spiritual meaning and value behind all of what is written! It is alive to us!
- We become conscious that we are brought into an entirely new world—just as a baby is brought into the world—all things are new—-we don’t understand everything about the new world, but we are aware that we are brought into a new world and that we are now ALIVE (unto God)!
- When the Holy Spirit is in us, He creates in us a hunger and desire for all that the Lord has—“hungering and thirsting after righteousness”!
- When we have the Holy Spirit, we are given new sight, new hearing, new sensing, new tasting—-not as in a earthly way like our actual physical senses—but in a spiritual way—we have a spiritual eye that allows us to understand the things of the Lord, we have a new sense of hearing in that we can hear the Lord speak in our hearts—not an actual voice—but in our hearts we know when the Lord has spoken to us. We have new senses that are given when we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us!
- When we have the Holy Spirit, and we do something that dishonors the Lord, we will have a sense inside of us that tells us that that was dishonoring to the Lord—- and we won’t be rid of that sense until we confess it to the Lord and seek forgiveness. HOW TRUE THIS IS!
With these things we are able to test whether we have the Spirit in us or not! They must be practical things that we have experienced in our life—– and if it is true, then we are assured that we have the Spirit of God dwelling in us! PRAISE GOD!!! 🙂